The majority of “traditional” shampoos and conditioners formulas are 80% water. So, we are in fact shipping tonnes of water around the world in plastic bottles – it is not efficient. It greatly impacts the carbon footprint, the water footprint and, also the plastic footprint.
Weight and volume play a key role in transport efficiency. Solid cosmetics are lighter and require less space during transport, and lighter products reduce the CO2 emitted during the transport, resulting in a reduced carbon footprint.
Let’s talk about facts:
- Solid cosmetics are concentrated: e.g., 1 shampoo bar = up to 2.5 traditional shampoos in number of washes.1
- Space savers (smaller and more light-weight): 4 shampoo bars = 1 traditional shampoo in volume.1
- 8-10 transport trucks of liquid shampoo would be needed versus 1 transport truck of solid shampoo bars to get the same number of washes1.
- More durable: you can use less product per application and they will last longer.
- Plastic-free packaging: give up 1 bottle at a time.
Also, are you planning your next travel? No more liquid restrictions or risk of spillages. And, of course, you will not need to use sample-sized cosmetics during your trip.
It is not “just one” shampoo bottle. We truly believe that if you are looking for an easy first step to a more sustainable life find out your shampoo bar here. Switch to solid cosmetics and be amazed at the difference you can make.
1Considering a 250ml bottle of a traditional shampoo.